Rat Poison: Top 5 Things You Need To Know

Rats are a nuisance, and rat poison is one of the most common solutions for getting rid of them. But rat poison can be dangerous to other animals, including humans. So it’s important to understand how rat poison works, what kind you should use, and how to safely dispose of it after use. In this article we will answer the top 5 questions asked about rat poison so that you can make an informed decision when choosing rat control methods.

1. Does rat poison kill birds?

Yes, rat poison can kill birds if they eat enough of it. Birds are attracted to the bright colors and flavors of rat poison, so they may eat it if they find it. Rat poison can cause internal bleeding and organ damage in birds, leading to death. If you think your bird has eaten rat poison, take it to the vet immediately. To learn more about this topic, check out Urban Hawks.

2. How does rat poison work?

Rat poison works by causing internal bleeding in rats. The rat will bleed to death internally if it eats enough of the poison. Rat poison is usually made with anticoagulants, which prevent blood from clotting. This causes the rat’s blood to thin, leading to fatal bleeding.

3. What are some rat poison precautions?

Rat poison should be used with caution, as it is toxic to humans and animals alike. Always keep rat poison out of reach of children and pets, and store it in a secure place away from food or water sources. Be sure to wear gloves when handling rat poison, and wash your hands thoroughly after use. It’s also important to read the label carefully before use, as some rat poisons have different strengths and require special handling instructions.

4. How do I know if rat poison has been ingested?

If you think rat poison has been ingested by an animal or person, seek medical attention immediately. Signs that rat poison may have been ingested include lethargy, weakness, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea. If rat poison has been ingested, there may also be evidence of rat droppings or rat poison remnants near where the rat was seen.

5. How can I prevent rats from coming into my home?

The best way to keep rats away is to take preventive measures. Make sure potential entry points such as cracks and crevices are sealed off with steel wool or caulk. Store food in tightly sealed containers, and clean up any spilled food or crumbs immediately. Ensure that garbage cans are kept closed, and consider installing rat traps in areas where rat activity is suspected. Taking these steps will help deter rats from entering your home.


Rat poison is a useful tool for ridding your home of rat infestations, but it can be dangerous if not used properly. It’s important to take the necessary precautions to ensure rat poison is stored and handled safely, and that any rat poison ingestion is treated immediately. By following these tips and taking preventive measures, you can help keep rat poison away from humans and animals alike.